YAKIMA, Wash. - Here are the latest updates on the shooting that happened early Tuesday morning in Yakima:

4 p.m.

In a press conference, Police Chief Matt Murray said the suspect was killed. We will have much more on our newscasts tonight at 5 and 6, only on KAPP KVEW.

2:45 p.m.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said a family member of the suspected gunman call police at 2:15 p.m. and said the gunman was behind some warehouses on 11th Street and Pendleton. Officers responded to the scene and found the suspected gunman. Gunshots were heard, according to Chief Murray, and the man was hurt. However, Chief Murray said no officers fired at the suspect and first responders are now at the scene treating him.

There will be a press conference at 4 p.m. at the Yakima Police Department.

1:30 p.m.

The suspect in the shooting at the Circle K remains on the run at this time. Authorities have set up an area outside the suspected shooter's home but have not been able to confirm if he is at that location. Senator Patty Murray tweeted about the tragedy, calling gun violence an "epidemic."

"This is heartbreaking and infuriating. Gun violence is an epidemic—it's happening in every community. My heart is with the Yakima community, but thoughts and prayers aren't enough. If we're serious about tackling violent crime, we need strong federal gun safety laws." - Sen. Patty Murray

12:15 p.m.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said they have located the car the suspected gunman drove away in from the Circle K shooting scene. The car was found in the Birchfield Road area, however, they have not yet located the suspect. Chief Murray said people need to be aware of their surroundings as they have not yet confirmed if the suspect is in the neighborhood or not. Chief Murray said preliminary information they received indicated he at one point was in the neighborhood, however, they don't know if he is still there.

The bomb threat situation going on on 1st Street is not related to this investigation, Chief Murray confirmed.

According to Chief Murray, the gunman went to the Arco Convenience Store, but was unable to get into the store. Murray said he then went to the Circle K and as soon as he entered, began shooting. Murray said the employee of the Circle K was in the back of the store and was not shot by the gunman, however, two customers were killed. Murray said the gunman then walked out and shot a man sitting in his vehicle at the gas pumps. The gunman then walked around to the back of the building and went back to the Arco store. That's when he shot into his vehicle. Authorities believe he shot into his vehicle because he locked himself out. Authorities said they believe the gunman drove to the Birchfield Road area and abandoned his vehicle. At this time, his whereabouts remain unknown.

The SWAT Team has surrounded a home in that location, however, they have not confirmed if he is there at this time.

"We have no confirmation that he is or isn't there," said Chief Murray. "So obviously it's our hope that he's there and it's our hope that we will be able to resolve this peacefully."

11:30 a.m.

Authorities are using a drone in the area of Birchfield Road and University Parkway in an effort to find the gunman. The law enforcement and first responder presence in the neighborhood continues to be heavy, but Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray told KAPP KVEW's Emily Goodell they want the public to be aware of what's going on. They are not sure if he is in the neighborhood, near his home or at another location.

The identities of those who were killed have not been released by law enforcement. It is important that authorities identify the victims and talk to families before releasing to the public.

10:30 a.m.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray has released a statement in regards to the suspected gunman's whereabouts, confirming they are not yet sure if he is at the location where law enforcement has been staged for the last two hours.

“We have a police presence at a location where the suspect may be but we have not been able to confirm he’s there. It is our hope that we can end this situation peacefully. I would ask the public to remain vigilant until we are able to confirm his location.”
Authorities at this time have not confirmed where the suspect is and they are asking the public to remain on the lookout. Be aware of your surroundings.

10 a.m.

The Yakima Police Department has confirmed the suspect has been identified as Jarid Haddock, 21, of Yakima. There is a large police presence at Haddock's home, however, police have not confirmed if Haddock is in the area. Our crew at the scene said currently, police officers and authorities have closed Birchfield Road and University Parkway while they conduct their investigation. There has been no evidence of flash bangs being used. Law enforcement personal are walking around in the area and are monitoring the situation. The only information that is being done here is information that has been confirmed by law enforcement.

There are two Yakima County Fire District 4 fire engines and an ambulance on the scene as well.

Authorities are asking if you see Haddock, do not approach him. He is considered to be armed and dangerous.

8 a.m.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said three people are dead after what is described as a "random shooting" at a convenience store in Yakima.

The call for help came in just after 3:30 a.m.

Officers with the Yakima Police Department were called to the Circle K convenience store on the 1700 block of Nob Hill Boulevard and South 18th Street.

According to investigators, the armed man shot and killed a man who was pumping gas at his car, then walked into the store and shot and killed a man and a woman who were inside getting food.

The gunman then went to the Arco Convenience Store near the Circle K, shot at a vehicle, then got inside and drove away.

Authorities said at this time it appears the shooting is random. The gunman didn't wear a mask and said he was wearing shoes that were distinctive and easily recognized.

The vehicle he drove away in is described as a light gray or silver Chrysler 200. He left driving eastbound toward Highway 24.

Authorities said the man is still on the run at this time.

This is a developing story. We will continue to update you as soon as information is available.


Yakima Bureau Chief/Multi-Media Journalist

Emily Goodell joined the KAPP/KVEW team in February 2019. Emily was born in raised in Yakima, where she currently works as our Yakima Bureau Chief. She’s worked in nearly every journalism medium, but above all else, her passion is investigative reporting. At the Yakima Herald-Republic, Emily worked as a breaking news, city government and crime and courts reporter. She’s served as a city government and education reporter at the Ellensburg Daily Record, a freelance journalist for Yakima Valley Publishing and as Northwest Public Broadcasting’s Yakima Correspondent. Emily completed a news reporting internship with Spokane Public Radio and an arts and culture reporting internship with The Inlander, an alternative urban weekly in Spokane, Wash. She also covered censorship and freedom of the press issues facing student media across the nation at the Student Press Law Center in Washington, D.C. Emily graduated from Whitworth University in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism & Mass Communication. In college, Emily worked with her colleagues and researchers at Florida International University on a collaborative project looking at the experiences of women working as professionals in the communication field. Throughout her high school and college career, Emily competed in speech and debate tournaments at the regional, state and national level. Emily is an avid traveler. Within the U.S., she’s visited 16 states and the District of Columbia. Outside the country, she’s also been to Canada, the United Kingdom and South Africa. While in Durban, South Africa, Emily was more than 10,000 miles away from her hometown — about as far as you can get.