PASCO, Wash.-- Pasco Police Department and Pasco Fire Department responded to a house Wednesday where they found a 51-year old man dead inside the home. Officials said the house had extremely high levels of carbon monoxide and multiple generators inside.
The cause of death for the man has not yet been determined, though fire officials believe the man may have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"This is why you need a carbon monoxide alarm," said Ben Shearer with the Pasco Fire Department. "They could have been alerted sooner before those lethal levels were reached in the home."
Shearer said every home is required to have a carbon monoxide alarm. Most of them last about 10 years, though batteries need to be changed regularly to insure they are working at all times.
"Carbon monoxide is odorless and it will actually put you into a deeper sleep and you're not going to be aware that there is an emergency happening in your house," said Shearer.
Most department stores sell carbon monoxide alarms with prices ranging from $20 to $50.
- Police investigating package thefts in West Richland
- Pasco police credit Griggs employees with shoplifting, narcotics arrest
- Court documents: Oregon man accused of assault said Taylor Swift told him to kill
- 'He had such a big heart': Kennewick woman remembers husband lost in ATV accident
- On GMNW @ 5: