WAPATO, Wash. -- Human remains found on July 21 along the Yakima River near Wapato belong to a missing Yakima man.
Maverick Craig was discovered deceased on a small island in the river about a half-mile from the West Donald Wapato Road bridge near Interstate 82, according to Yakima County Coroner Jim Curtice.
Craig was 27 when he went missing on Dec. 1, 2018. He was last seen near Yakima, and some of his belongings were found on the ground off I-82 just outside Union Gap, according to a Facebook page created to help find him.
His body took weeks to identify due to heavy decomposition. The coroner was able to use dental records to get a positive identification.
Correction: This article originally reported stated that the body was found in June.
- JUST IN: Suspect arrested in attack of 80-year-old woman, police officer in Yakima
- Puppies play the day away at Franklin Pool in Yakima
- Police looking for felony suspect, may be in Prosser or Grandview
- Police: Man's pickup truck stolen while he was stealing from Kennewick business
- KSD still has no deal with its teachers after meeting all weekend