PASCO, Wash. - Russ McElroy started a GoFundMe campaign to start Miss Tri-Cities, a new local hydroplane racing team.
He has set a goal to raise $250,000 that will him buy a hydroplane, haul, piston engine, and storage for the boat.
McElroy plans to buy a boat from Seattle-based Ellstrom Racing.
The boat has recorded 29 wins since 2001, which is the most wins in hydroplane racing.
McElroy has been associated with hydroplane racing since 1969 and says this will be a major attraction to the area.
"If any community should have an unlimited hydroplane and bring innovation to this sport, it's the Tri-Cities," says McElroy. "If we can get this up and running, it will bring more interest to everything."
McElroy wants to start racing by June 2018.
More information on Miss Tri-Cities can be found on their Facebook page.
- Yakima native running for Yakima County Coroner
- National Donate Life Month: a call for more organ, eye and tissue donors
- TONIGHT @ 5 & 6: Valley Mall murder suspect's bail set at $1 million
- Valley Mall murder suspect's bail is set at $1 million
- Caretaker described horrific scene from deadly Richland house fire