UMATILLA, Wash. - An inmate died unexpectedly at the Two Rivers Correctional Institute in Umatilla on Friday morning.
Michael Shaw, 52, was found unresponsive in his bed around 5:45 a.m. and medical staff tried to revive him.
He was pronounced dead at 6:32 a.m. of apparent natural causes.
As with all unexpected deaths in state prisons, Oregon State Police detectives are conducting an investigation.
Shaw has been in custody since Jul. 16, 2002 on one count of first-degree sex abuse and one count of mistreatment in Marion County. His earliest release date was Sept. 28, 2025.
- Pink Panther exhibit is now at the Larson Gallery
- Four winners of the 6th Annual Ultimate Achiever Challenge will take $1,000 each
- Tri-Cities Sportsmen Show underway at TRAC Center
- Kennewick teen accused of raping preschooler at his mom's daycare
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic awarded national grant of over $160,000