SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Amazon founder Jeff Bezos will donate $5 million to help create housing for homeless families in Spokane.
The Spokesman-Review says Bezos will donate the money to Catholic Charities of Eastern Washington. The money comes from the Bezos Day One Families Fund.
Most of it is destined for the planned Gonzaga Family Haven complex in northeast Spokane, which is intended to provide housing and social services for more than 70 families.
The project is a partnership among Catholic Charities, Gonzaga University and Gonzaga Prep High School, which is located next to the planned complex.
Officials say the grant is not enough to fund the entire project, but it will allow better services than originally planned.
Spokane is grappling with major homelessness issues, especially in the downtown core.
Information from: The Spokesman-Review, http://www.spokesman.com
- Meet the Kennewick Olive Garden server with the angelic voice
- Kadlec lights Giving Tree for two local organizations
- Meals on Wheels van stolen out of Tri-Cities is back home -- and it's bittersweet
- WA offers more tax-free saving options for college students
- Manhunt underway for robber who stabbed 70-year-old woman in Kennewick