Kennewick police arrested a man suspected of sexually assaulting a child.
Louis Noberto Mendez, 41, was booked at the Benton County Jail early Monday morning.
Sgt. Aaron Clem said Mendez was arrested after the child reported him to a family friend, who took the child to a local hospital and called the police.
Clem said the suspect is known to the child.
Mendez is being held at the jail on suspicion of third-degree rape of a child on a 72-hour hold.
During that time, the Benton County Prosecutor's Office will determine whether to file charges against him.
- Community raising money for Prosser murder victim's funeral costs
- Yakima first responders thank two young girls who alerted parents about house fire
- Mormon church warning: Beware of those fancy coffee drinks
- Fatal crash closes road north of Walla Walla
- Scooteney Reservoir closed in Franklin Co. due to toxic algae