LAKE MATTOON, Wash. - The Kittitas County Sheriff’s dive team is searching for a 27-year-old Granger man last seen swimming off the North Shore of Lake Mattoon around 8 p.m. Sunday.
David Gomez and his two friends were floating on tubes and swimming.
Witnesses say Gomez was swimming behind his friends as they drifted with the wind across the north side of the lake. When they last saw him, he was swimming towards the shore.
They searched the shoreline, but were unable to find him and called the sheriff’s office.
Deputies searched until dark, attempting to verify he did not come off the lake.
The dive team was notified and they began searching at daylight, but have yet to find Gomez. The search is being hampered by heavy mill-foil, which is 7 to 8 feet deep and too thick to see or swim through.
Officials say they will continue to search until he is found.
Gomez was last seen wearing a gray t-shirt and black shorts with a red stripe.
- City, county leaders clash over how to use $12 million in public safety tax money
- Mini donut truck from Yakima Valley to appear on Cooking Channel
- Prosser native turned NFL coach to be inducted in Boise State Hall of Fame
- Yakima Police officers and employees honored at awards ceremony
- Alleged home invasion rapist pleads not guilty