STANFIELD, Ore. -- Stanfield police said they arrested a man caught driving a stolen golf cart at a Pilot truck stop. When police questioned him, he gave an unlikely reason as to why he took it.
An employee called police on Aug. 31 to report that someone had stolen the golf cart from the truck stop and was riding it around the parking lot.
At the scene, officers found 38-year-old Ryan Shenkel, who was "looking up at the sky and having a serious conversation," police wrote in a Facebook post.
When police asked him about the golf cart, he said that God told him to take it, and then put it back.
"[Shenkel] said God wanted him to be honest so he made sure he pointed out where his drug container was located, and admitted to consuming some alcohol as well," police wrote.
Shenkel was arrested and booked at the Umatilla County Jail.
- Pasco police investigate possible attempted luring of 12-year-old girl at Walmart
- Driver fatally strikes Pendleton man at Milton-Freewater crosswalk
- Oregon bans trapping of extremely rare cat-like creature
- East Wenatchee man leads police on chase, crashes into tree
- Some students have not been vaccinated, as the law requires