BELFAIR, Wash. (AP) — A Belfair man charged with shooting an intruder found showering in a building on his property has been found guilty of second-degree murder by a Mason County Superior Court jury.
The Kitsap Sun reports the jury found 62-year-old Bruce Fanning guilty Thursday in the death of 31-year-old Nathaniel Rosa of Bothell.
Fanning's lawyer said Fanning's mental state, including a below-average IQ and an anxiety disorder, prevented Fanning from being able to form an intent to kill Rosa.
Woodrow also said Fanning acted in self-defense, claiming when Fanning confronted Rosa, Rosa said, "I'll kill you."
Fanning called 911 on April 1, 2017, to report the shooting. Prosecutors said Rosa had been drinking alcohol and walking in the cold and may have believed he was returning to a nearby friend's house.
Prosecutors say after the initial conformation Fanning left, then returned with a gun and shot Rosa three times.
- Scars from Virginia Beach shooting turn into tattoos for healing
- Driver in crash that killed 75-year-old woman in Umatilla County facing DUI, manslaughter charges
- Stolen truck crashes into Kennewick building following police chase
- Woman arrested on suspicion of reckless burning after RV fire in Kennewick
- Student efforts lead Gov. Inslee to declare Family and Consumer Science Day in state