(CNN) - Jeffrey Epstein's cause of death was suicide by hanging, the New York City medical examiner's office has determined, two law enforcement officials told CNN on Friday.
The news came almost a week after the multimillionaire was found in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, where the 66-year-old was awaiting trial on federal charges accusing him of sexually abusing underage girls and running a sex trafficking ring. He had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The autopsy on Epstein's body was performed Sunday, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner said in a statement at the time, but its determination was pending further information. A private pathologist also observed the autopsy, the statement said, calling it "routine practice."
There are multiple investigations into the circumstances around the accused sex trafficker's death, including by the FBI and the Justice Department's Inspector General.
- Benton County firefighters respond to fire at farm in Horse Heaven area
- Richland police trying to identify alcohol theft suspect
- Burglars cut fence, steal items from Kennewick business
- City of Walla Walla to permanently close 111-year-old 'crumbling' sidewalk
- Over 4,000 homes without power in Walla Walla