The highly anticipated Cosmic Crisp apple variety will be hitting the shelves of grocery stores in December after 20 years of research and development. Cosmic Crisp brand apples are a cross between Enterprise and Honeycrisp apples.
The large, juicy apple has a crunchy crisp texture, and provides ample sweetness and tartness. The apple is also slow to brown and keeps its texture and flavor in storage for over a year.
The apple variety is the latest edition of Washington State University's world-class tree fruit breeding program.
According to Toni Lynn Adams with the Washington Apple Commission, there's a lot of anticipation and excitement for this new variety.
"So many growers have invested in this apple and in the research 20 years in the making," said Adams. "It's a big project that the entire industry is thrilled to be a part of. We're excited to see where the Cosmic Crisp takes the Washington apple industry."
Adams said they're expecting around 400,000 40-pound boxes this season, and that number will likely grow in the future.
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinics prepare for 2019-20 flu season
- Three people transported to hospital after crash at State Route 240 and Aaron Drive
- SR 410 and SR 123 closed because of winter conditions and mudslide
- Police arrest woman for DUI after she crashes into wall at Kennewick home
- Chicago strike means day off for some, emergency for others