A new sports complex in Yakima is in the works, and it’s expected to be one of the largest indoor sports facilities in Washington.
Currently in its third year of development, the project coordinators hope to have the money for the 10 to 12 million dollar project raised by the end of 2020 so they can have it finished in 2021.
The Sozo Arena, standing at 80,000 square feet, will hold up to 4 futsal courts, 6 basketball courts or 8 volleyball courts.
The arena will provide indoor playing space, and bring in thousands of athletes from across the region.
Kerry Martin, one of Sozo’s founders, said the complex is a community asset.
“The cool thing is that Yakima is so central to the whole state, to the Pacific Northwest and the weather is great,” said Martin. “So having indoor events, outdoor events with the two large buildings we'll have on site will be fantastic for the valley.”
On October 12th, Sozo will host its second Spirit of Sozo event. It will have a live and silent auction with dinner, and the funds raised will go toward the project.
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinics prepare for 2019-20 flu season
- Three people transported to hospital after crash at State Route 240 and Aaron Drive
- SR 410 and SR 123 closed because of winter conditions and mudslide
- Police arrest woman for DUI after she crashes into wall at Kennewick home
- Chicago strike means day off for some, emergency for others