SELAH, Wash. - A 36-year-old registered sex offender was arrested Tuesday for allegedly robbing a 7-11 in Selah after the store clerk turned down a date with him.
Police say Darren Lehmann asked the clerk out on a date Oct. 30 after shopping inside the store.
“The suspect also asked her if she would go into the cooler with him and mess around,” court documents said.
The store clerk told police she’d declined and added that she knew Lehmann was a registered sex offender, according to court documents. Lehmann reportedly said he had to go get some change and left the store.
About a half-hour later, police say Lehmann showed up in a ski mask, pointed a gun at the clerk and told her to give him all the money.
Police say Lehmann called officers Tuesday to turn himself in, adding that he'd been going through a difficult time.
Lehmann was arrested on suspicion of first-degree robbery. He’s being held in the Yakima County jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.
- China slashes electric car subsidies
- Burger King launches meatless burger in Europe, tests new US options
- Family gives back after charity helped them through medical emergency
- Richland man who groomed boys to make child porn sentenced to 25 years
- Woman dies in Yakima mobile home fire along with numerous pets