Police: Selah standoff suspect held-ex-girlfriend against her will for three days, assaulted her

SELAH, Wash. - A Selah man police say assaulted his ex-girlfriend and kept her locked in a bedroom for three days against her will was arrested Sunday after a more than six-hour-long standoff with police.

Daniel Lopez was arrested on multiple warrants — including one for unlawful possession of a firearm — and on suspicion of second-degree domestic violence assault, unlawful imprisonment, harassment and violation of a protection order.

Selah police were called just before 9 p.m. Saturday to reports of a domestic violence situation at a home in the 1700 block of West Naches Avenue in Selah.

Police say there were multiple people in the home at the time of the incident who could hear Lopez arguing with his ex-girlfriend, according to a Selah police news release.

Witnesses told police they heard Lopez threaten to stab someone inside the house and heard the woman screaming for help, according to court documents filed by Selah police.

The woman — in her 50s —told police that she had recently broken up with Lopez, but that several days prior he  had entered her home and held her in her bedroom against her will, threatening to kill her if she left, according to court documents.

She told police that night, Lopez began yelling at her, threw something at her, before attempting to smother her with a comforter and punching her in the face, court documents said.

“She said she couldn’t breathe and she thought she was going to die,” police said in court documents.

When Lopez eventually stopped smothering her, she screamed for someone to call 911 and ran to the bathroom, where she remained until police arrived and were able to get her out, according to court documents.

Lopez ran to the attic of the home, where he barricaded himself inside as officers arrived.

In court documents, police say Lopez is a known gang member and has a felony warrant for unlawful possession of a firearm and a misdemeanor warrant from a traffic offense in Sunnyside.

Selah police officers, the Yakima SWAT team and other law enforcement agencies asked Lopez repeatedly to leave the home, but he did not come out.

Police deployed a flash bang grenade, repeatedly warned Lopez that there was a K-9 unit on scene and told him that officers would not be leaving without him in custody.

After a judge signed off on a search warrant to enter the home, members of the SWAT team entered the home and found Lopez in the attic, the release said.

Police say Lopez’s weight was too much for the attic’s sheet rock floor and as a result, fell through the floor into the room below, the release said. Lopez was injured and taken to a local hospital for treatment.

He was treated and released from the hospital, where officers booked him into the Yakima County jail on his previous warrants and on suspicion of multiple charges stemming from the incident.

Lopez is scheduled to appear Monday in Yakima County Superior Court.

Be the first to know with the YakTriNews app. Breaking news alerts, watch live newscasts and get the most up-to-date local news on the go.  Click here to download for iOS and Android.

More News Headlines

KAPP-KVEW Local News

This Week's Circulars