KENNEWICK, Wash. - A promising Richland High School student will have some help for her college education. Calla Hunt was the winner of a scholarship awarded by the Simon Youth Foundation.
Hunt received a $1,500 check at the Columbia Center Mall Monday afternoon. When she isn't hitting the books, Hunt is spending her free time volunteering.
"I like being able to make a difference," Hunt said. "I like going to 'My Friends' Place' cause they're my peers that are there and being able to help them. We provide some food for them every week."
My Friend's Place is a homeless youth shelter in the Tri-Cities.
Hunt just graduated and plans on attending Brigham Young University to study psychology. She hopes to complete her Masters in Occupational Therapy.
- Man fatally shot by officers in Toppenish identified; police say he had a knife
- Stocks flying high on trade optimism, investors still concerned
- Firefighter who died in Columbia River described as inspirational, caring and loving
- Kittitas Co. deputies say an accused child molester is on the run
- PG&E to pay $1 billion to governments for wildfire damage