HERMISTON, Ore. - A 2-year-old is in critical condition after a 7-year-old sibling shot the child in the head by accident, Hermiston police said.
The incident happened on Friday just before 5 p.m. police said the child was transported to Good Shepard hospital and remains in critical condition.
To protect the identity of those involved, police are not releasing any more details.
“It goes without saying that this is an incredibly horrible incident for the involved family, the officers who responded, the medical professionals who treated the child and the community as a whole,” police said in a statement.
They are urging the public to keep firearms locked up and stored in a safe manner to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.
- Over 500 children attend YVCC's annual Engineering for Kid's Day
- Family is left without a home due to a house fire
- Firefighters throughout the state attend the Annual Washington Fire Chiefs Conference
- Montana state crime lab chemist charged with stealing meth
- Five suspects arrested in warrant sweep, four are documented gang members