Police officers are in an hours-long standoff with a man who's barricaded himself inside a building on West Third Street in Wapato.
Yakima County Sheriff Robert Udell told KAPP-KVEW the man is alone inside the building in the 100 block of West Third Street.
Udell said it appears that the man may have been involved in a misdemeanor assault prior to the incident.
According to Yakima County sheriff's logs, deputies responded about 3:20 p.m. to a reported assault on West Third Street in Wapato. It's unclear if this is the same incident that may have preceded the standoff.
"We are not sure of his crimes, but he's alone," Udell told KAPP-KVEW. "There may be some ramping down going on due to the unsure aspects of what's happening."
Police do not know if the man is armed, Udell said.
Udell said there is no active effort to go into the building at this time.
Wapato Police are leading the investigation. Yakama Nation Tribal Police, Yakima County Sheriff's Office and Yakima Police are also on the scene.
West Third Street remains closed off between South Wasco Avenue and South Wapato Avenue. Roads, side roads and alleys are all completely blocked off in the surrounding area.
- Investors don't seem to know what to make of the US-China trade war
- FedEx CEO challenges New York Times to debate after critical story
- Health care jobs will keep US labor market going even in recession
- Washington state bans vapor products containing vitamin E acetate
- Columbia Basin College celebrates new food pantry for students