The Walla Walla County Sheriff's Office announced the passing of Deputy John W. King on Tuesday.
The department did not immediately share the cause of King's death, and KAPP-KVEW has reached out to officials to learn more.
According to a press release, King was previously a police officer in California. He worked for the Fullerton Police Department, as well as for the Los Angeles Police Department.
In the statement, the department wrote, "John, we know you are up in the mountains or out on the water doing what you love. Your effect on Walla Walla County Sheriff's Office will last generations. Thank you for the lessons you taught us and all the fond memories we will forever share."
King was involved in law enforcement for a total of 41 years.
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinics prepare for 2019-20 flu season
- Three people transported to hospital after crash at State Route 240 and Aaron Drive
- SR 410 and SR 123 closed because of winter conditions and mudslide
- Police arrest woman for DUI after she crashes into wall at Kennewick home
- Chicago strike means day off for some, emergency for others