WALLA WALLA, Wash. - A Walla Walla elementary school teacher has been named the Columbia Basin Region Music Educator of the Year.
Lori Parnicky has been learning about and practicing music since she was just six years old. It was always something she was passionate about, and in college, she decided it was something she wanted to pass down to the younger generations.
"I want them to have really fundamentally sound learning and enable them to become musicians," Parnicky said.
Parnicky has been a music specialist at Sharpstein Elementary School for almost 20 years. She teaches grades K-5 and makes sure her classes are interactive for her students.
This led her supervisor to secretly nominate Parnicky for the Washington Music Educators Association award. Parnicky had no idea she was in the running until she was told she won.
"I couldn't believe it," Parnicky said. "It is truly an honor."
Parnicky will receive her award WMEA Music Conference in February.
- Olde Yakima Letterpress Museum celebrates opening of new facility
- Police: Burglar steals jewelry while great grandmother sleeps nearby
- Washington state seismologists propose new tracking sensors
- Young West Valley Fire cadet dies after having a medical emergency
- Kennewick firefighters raising money to restore 1935 fire truck