WEST RICHLAND, Wash. - A woman found dead in West Richland early Sunday morning was brutally beaten and apparently strangled with a belt during sex.
The body of Alisa Brewer, 53, was found inside an apartment at the Fairway Manor Apartments near 39th Avenue and Fallon Drive around 1:30 a.m. She was naked with a leather belt tightened around her neck, according to the West Richland Police Department.
Her alleged killer, 24-year-old William Lee, is facing charges of second-degree murder and second-degree assault.
Authorities responded after Lee called 911 and confessed to killing the woman. On the phone, Lee told the dispatcher he was going to kill himself next as he was heard loading a gun, police said.
Outside the apartment, a police officer heard Lee fire one round into the ceiling while waiting for Tri-City Regional SWAT to arrive.
A SWAT crisis negotiator continued to communicate with Lee and eventually convinced him to surrender to law enforcement.
After his arrest, authorities discovered that Brewer had been beaten before she was killed.
Her face was bruised and swollen, and she had a black eye that was swollen shut. Evidence suggests that these injuries could have only occurred while she was alive, leading police to recommend an assault charge in addition to murder.
Her cause of death has not been confirmed.
Lee is being held at the Benton County Jail on $500,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Thursday Dec. 13.
- Moses Lake Police arrest man who fell asleep in stolen car
- Court: Electoral College members not bound by popular vote
- Man arrested for brutal Kennewick assault that left victim injured in street
- Firefighters in Yakima working to keep kids safe as summer gives way to school
- Solar project planned for Richland will offer battery storage, bring in hundreds of trainees