YAKIMA, Wash. - A 31-year-old woman was found dead on the Yakima Greenway path Wednesday afternoon, and unconscious infant was found in a tote bag near her body.
Yakima police spokesman Randy Beehler said officers responded to a report of a body on the Greenway east of the waste water treatment plant near the Yakima River around 2:30 p.m.
He said the woman appeared to have been dead for at least a day. Officers initially thought that the baby was also dead, but they began performing CPR and were able to revive the child.
Beehler said the baby appeared to be just a few days old but is "doing well so far." The baby appears to belong to the deceased woman.
Police have not released any information on the circumstances of the woman's death. They are actively investigating.
The Yakima County Coroner's Office will be performing an autopsy to determine how she died.
This is a developing story. We will continue to follow it closely.
- Suspects attempt to steal car near Wapato before fleeing from police, igniting chase
- Yakima County Homeless Coalition condenses its 5-year plan goals
- 'No guns in store' rules hard to enforce
- WATCH GMNW LIVE: www.yaktrinews.com/video
- Troopers: Richland woman injured in crash after failing to stop at red light