YAKIMA, Wash. - On Monday, deputies arrested a Yakima man and woman who were driving a Dodge Caravan "just loaded with mail that didn't long to them."
West Valley residents Derrick Adams, 31, and Arica Ann Hartigan, 29, are accused of breaking into locked mail boxes to steal letters and packages from dozens of homes across the county in the past several weeks.
They had mail addressed to homes off 51st Avenue, Modesto Way, the Terrace Heights neighborhood and areas “all over the county,” deputies said.
The sheriff’s office started getting calls early Monday morning and the phones kept ringing through the day, according to the Yakima County Sheriff's Office.
Adams and Hartigan were pulled over in Dodge Caravan in the 8200 block of Scenic Drive based on a tip from one of their victims, deputies said.
Authorities suspect they have been stealing mail for several weeks this holiday season.
They're expected to appear in court Tuesday for a preliminary appearance.
- 7 injured including baby in Highway 12 crash
- Life Flight Network celebrates 40 years of saving lives
- 40 Davis High School students participate in NASA camp
- 'I can't believe he would have that.' Neighbor reacts to dynamite found in College Place home
- Two local health-care entities receive $1.2 million in federal grants