YAKIMA, Wash. - The Kiwanis Club of Yakima has announced it'll be donating $75,000 to the Yakima YMCA. The funds will go toward the Kiwanis Deck at the soon-to-be finished YMCA and Yakima Rotary Aquatic Center.
The Kiwanis Club has been active in Yakima for the past 98 years, and supports several local projects to benefit children and families in the community, including accessible playgrounds, free bikes for kids and the Yakima Arboretum Nature Camp Day.
Becky Nissen of the Kiwanis Club said, "The new YMCA is going to have all kinds of things for the kids to do, and we just wanted to make sure that we support that project. It's real important for service clubs to come together and support all the kids in our community and make it a better place."
The donation will be presented to the YMCA Director Bob Romero Tuesday at noon at the Howard Johnson Hotel.
"Helping children in your community is a number one. The kids in our community need to feel supported, and they're counting on us," said Nissen.
- Three people transported to hospital after crash at State Route 240 and Aaron Drive
- SR 410 and SR 123 closed because of winter conditions and mudslide
- Police arrest woman for DUI after she crashes into wall at Kennewick home
- Chicago strike means day off for some, emergency for others
- Firefighters contain fire at Zintel Canyon