YAKIMA, Wash. -- Yakima Mayor Kathy Coffey crashed her SUV into the Rite Aid building at Summitview Avenue and North 9th Avenue Friday morning.
Yakima police say at about 10:25 a.m., the mayor's foot accidentally slipped off the break and hit the gas. Her Mercedes Benz SUV went straight through an automatic sliding door and into an unoccupied part of the building before coming to a stop about 30 feet inside. No one was injured in the collision.
The damaged section of the building has been empty since the store remodeled several years ago, said police spokesman Randy Beehler.
No drugs or alcohol were involved and no citations will be issued because the crash occurred on private property.
The matter will be settled between Coffey and the building's owner.
- Olde Yakima Letterpress Museum celebrates opening of new facility
- Police: Burglar steals jewelry while great grandmother sleeps nearby
- Washington state seismologists propose new tracking sensors
- Young West Valley Fire cadet dies after having a medical emergency
- Kennewick firefighters raising money to restore 1935 fire truck