YAKIMA, Wash. - A standoff between a Yakima police sergeant and an uncooperative chicken has gone viral with help from The Dodo, a popular animal website with over 20 million fans on Facebook.
The chicken was standing in the middle of Washington Avenue when Sgt. Ira Cavin came across it early Sunday morning.
He stopped and tried to get the chicken to cross the road so it wouldn’t get hit. They stared at each other for a while, but the chicken wouldn’t budge.
“It was pretty stubborn,” Cavin said.
They stared each other down, giving his fellow officer plenty of time to take photos. Eventually, they convinced the chicken to leave the road willingly and without a fight.
After finding out what happened, we had to ask the question everyone is wondering about: Why did the chicken cross the road?
“It’s still a mystery at this point,” Cavin said. “We’re still working on that one.”
The Dodo picked up the story on Thursday, featuring the photos from the Yakima Police Department. The website shared its version of the story on Facebook, which has been shared over 2,000 times and has received over 11,000 "likes."
“It’s pretty unique, I would say, in terms of police work,” Cavin said. “It’s kind of interesting how it has all taken off.”
He said he was happy to be involved in a happy, light-hearted story for a change.
- Mountain bikes stolen out of Kennewick
- Reportedly drunk man arrested for crashing car in Kennewick
- COMING UP ON GMNW @5: The summit between Putin and Trump is underway, we have all the details
- Stolen firetruck stopped after wild chase in California
- Richland police are looking for the suspects who assaulted a man on a bike path