Protests at capitols nationwide; Olympia, Salem included

OLYMPIA, Wash. — The state capitol buildings in Washington and Oregon on Wednesday saw hundreds of people showing their support for President Donald Trump.

RELATED: Gov. Inslee issues statement as protestors trespass at his mansion

RELATED: Washington state representatives respond to U.S. Capitol riots

In Salem, during a protest, Oregon State Police said there was “mutual combat by opposing groups” on Capitol grounds; police declared it an “unlawful assembly” and made an arrest.

In Olympia, demonstrators called their rally “Operation Occupy the Capitol.” Reporters and witnesses there reported earlier this afternoon on social media that the gathering was peaceful. However, one journalist tweeted that she was threatened by an armed man.

RELATED: President Trump reacts to his supporters’ protests at U.S. Capitol building

RELATED: Vice President Mike Pence reacts to U.S. Capitol protests

Pro-Trump demonstrators forced evacuations in at least two states.

In St. Paul, Minnesota, cheers rang out from demonstrators in reaction to the news that supporters of President Donald Trump had stormed the U.S. Capitol.

In Georgia and Oklahoma, some demonstrators carried guns.

New Mexico state police evacuated staff from a statehouse building that includes the governor’s and secretary of state’s offices as a precaution shortly after hundreds of flag-waving supporters arrived in a vehicle caravan and on horseback. A spokesperson for the governor´s office says there was no indication of threats at the statehouse.

The staff of Utah Gov. Spencer Cox was sent home as several hundred pro-Trump demonstrators rallied outside the Capitol, though the demonstration remained relatively calm.

A brief scuffle between pro-Trump demonstrators, who included members of the Proud Boys, and counterprotesters broke out in Columbus, Ohio, but there was no immediate threat to the Capitol.

In Washington, DC, a riot at the US Capitol building forced lawmakers to evacuate and put a pause on the Electoral College vote. One woman was shot and killed.

RELATED: Woman shot at U.S. Capitol has died

RELATED: Pro-Trump mob storms US Capitol as armed standoff takes place outside House chamber

Police worked to disperse the crowd. They were using tear gas and percussion grenades to begin clearing pro-Trump protesters from Capitol grounds ahead of a District of Columbia curfew.

Shortly before 3 p.m. PST, officials declared the US Capitol ‘secure’ — nearly four hours after the violent pro-Trump occupiers disrupted the electoral count.

The district’s police chief said at least 13 people were arrested, and five firearms had been recovered during the pro-Trump protests. At least one explosive device was found near the U.S. Capitol.