Saltwater can poison dogs, vets say

Pet owners are being warned about the dangers of saltwater poisoning after a dog died days after playing on a Florida beach.

WFLA reports the Labrador Retriever, named O.G., was at Honeymoon Beach near Tampa last week when he likely ingested too much saltwater, said the vet who treated him.

After O.G. and his owner returned home, O.G. began vomiting and had diarrhea. He eventually stopped eating and was in a daze. His owner took him a vet, who learned the dog was severely dehydrated and had suffered brain damage from the saltwater.

O.G. also suffered a seizure while at the vet’s office and had to be put down.

Saltwater is highly toxic to animals and can be life-threatening in large amounts, according to Dr. Katy Meyer, who said it’s essential to provide dogs with fresh water when visiting the beach and limit those trips to two hours.

Read more from WFLA