Seven displaced in Yakima following early-morning fire

The Yakima Fire Department responded to two fires within an hour on Tuesday morning.
Image Credit: Yakima Fire Department (@YakimaCityFire, Twitter)

YAKIMA, Wash. — The Yakima Fire Department (YFD) responded to a massive fire that left seven people displaced early on Tuesday morning.

According to officials with the fire department, firefighters were called to the 1000 block of West Mead Avenue around 4:40 a.m. on Tuesday, February 9, 2021. Though no injuries to humans were reported, the YFD noted that a dog sadly perished in the fire.

The seven people that have been displaced are being aided by the Red Cross, according to the press release.

RELATED: Washington politicians commend federal wildfire relief

According to the YFD, the fire began in a detached garage, spreading to a motor home before making its way to the house itself. The fire reportedly damaged a natural gas line linked with the house as well as two nearby power lines.

Representatives of Pacific Power and Cascade Natural Gas assisted with the recovery efforts, which closed off the intersection of W Mead Ave and 11th Ave to Eastbound traffic early on Tuesday. Emergency response crews say they were on the scene in Yakima for more than two hours.

Despite all of this information about the incident, the initial cause of the fire has not been determined up to this point.

RELATED: Yakima County receives 5,725 more vaccines

According to the Yakima Fire Department, the total cost of damages associated with this fire is $200,000. That includes the cost of the contents inside the burnt garage, motor home and house.

Around 3:30 a.m., shortly before the W Mead Ave fire was reported, Yakima firefighters responded to the 1400 block of West Lincoln Ave for a fire related to two cars behind a house.

Not much information regarding that occurrence has been provided by local authorities, but the damages are expected to cost approx. $20,000 for that case. No injuries were reported, the cause of the fire is under investigation and the flames never spread to the house itself.

RELATED: Family mourns 2-year-old boy killed in Tacoma house fire

RELATED: Kennewick business manager confronts burglar with shotgun

RELATED: Dozens of Washington Potato Company employees permanently laid off following massive facility fire