More than $1 million to be distributed across Southeastern Washington via community funds
TOPPENISH, Wash. — In an effort to support its community, Legends Casino is teaming up with Yakima Cares and the Community Impact Fund to donate $1,063,645 to address pressing issues impacting people across Southeastern Washington.
Officials say that roughly half of that sum is being spread out across 144 nonprofits benefitting people and causes in the region. Other, larger grants awarded through the Community Impact Fund will support healthcare, law enforcement and local municipalities.
Each year, nonprofits submit an application to Yakima Cares for a chance to create positive, actionable change across Southeastern Washington. The funds will span applicants in Yakima, Benton, Kittitas and Klickitat Counties.
Another 274 applications were submitted to the community fund for consideration during the 2022 disbursement period.
An official committee is tasked with narrowing down the candidates on a rolling basis to ensure that funds are going toward community issues with the greatest need. Grants range from $1,000 to $30,000 to help pay for food, medical costs, service animals, hospice care, educational materials and more.
Furthermore, fire departments across Yakima County—including tribal lands—will receive funds that will pay for fire engines, drones and other supplies to support their efforts in saving people during emergency scenarios.
RECENT HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Richland beauty salon starts baby formula swap amid nation-wide shortage
- Kennewick Library services limited due to issue with air conditioning system
- WSDOT social media helps reunite Washington boy with stuffed dinosaur found on I-90
- Coroner identifies remains of Sunnyside woman who disappeared before boyfriend’s crime spree
- Yakima PD observes ‘alarming trend’ of violence against officers following 4th officer-involved shooting in a year
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.