Tri-Cities: 668 new COVID cases, high case rate
KENNEWICK, Wash. — The Tri-Cities area tallied 668 new COVID-19 cases in the last three days, one of the highest-ever local three-day counts, the Benton-Franklin Health District reports.
Benton County’s 434 new cases pushed the county to another milestone: 25,000 COVID-19 cases documented since the pandemic began.
Franklin County’s 234 new cases, also reported Monday, increased its case total to 16,602.
Combined, the counties recorded 668 new cases and 41,602 total cases.
Annie Goodwin, spokesperson for the Benton-Franklin Health District, says the 668 figure is very high, ranking near the top just below a three-day total of 676 last December, the 639 cases documented during a three-day period in August, and the four-day 2021 Labor Day Weekend total of 815 cases.
Around one in four tests (24.93%) at the CBC West testing site proved positive, BFHD reports.
The COVID-19 case rate for the combined counties is over 1,000 cases (1,005) per 100,000 residents for the second time since March of 2020.
“We’re hoping the community responds and we can get these numbers down a bit,” said Goodwin. “It’s scary to see the deaths and hospitalizations.”
Data show 127 of 399 patients have COVID-19, taking up 31.8% of all licensed beds at the two counties’ hospitals: Lourdes Health in Pasco, Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland, Kennewick’s Trios Health Southridge Hospital and Prosser Memorial Hospital.
The most recent counting of COVID-19-related deaths, updated last Friday, was 402 community members lost in Benton and Franklin counties.
RELATED LOCAL COVID-19 HEADLINES:
- Tri-Cities region loses 400th community member to COVID-19
- Yakama Nation reinstates pandemic closures amidst surge
- Yakima hospital concerned about COVID-19 testing capacity
- Local livestock, horses, could be ‘very sick’ if Ivermectin shortage hits
COVID-19 VACCINE MANDATE HEADLINES:
- WA State troopers, other workers sue over vaccine mandate
- Washington state workers union agrees to COVID mandate terms
- Police, firefighters sue Gov. Brown over vaccination mandate
- Sweeping new vaccine mandates for 100 million Americans
RECENT HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Purse snatchers stealing wallets, using stolen cards in Pendleton, La Grande
- Kennewick man robbed and assaulted
- Someone shot up a Kennewick home and car
- Richland man died in car crash
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.