Tri-Cities fire crews prevent spread of an unintentional kitchen fire

Tri-Cities fire crews put out unintentional kitchen fire at residential home
Images provided by the Kennewick Fire Department

TRI-CITIES, Wash. — First responders from throughout the Tri-Cities and the surrounding area converged to put out a structure fire that displaced a group of people shortly after noon on Wednesday.

According to a release issued by the Kennewick Fire Department (KFD), local crews were joined by teams from Benton County Fire District #1 and the Pasco Fire Department in response to a residential fire at 2917 W. 19 St; near the Spirit of America Trail. When they arrived, fire crews assessed the fire coming from a double-wide mobile home.

Tri-Cities first responders reportedly saw flames emerging from a vent above the kitchen area and smoke rising from the attic space. Responding crews made an aggressive attempt at the fire from inside the home, which helped dull the flames and prevent spread into other areas.

RELATED: Kennewick police detain three suspects in BB gun rampage

KPD officials say that there were six occupants inside the building at the time of the fire. Each of them was able to safely and successfully evacuate the home before fire crews arrived on location. Damages were limited to the attic space and the kitchen of the home, but the conditions are unsafe for the residents to stay in for the time being.

Each of the individuals directly impacted by the fire will stay with family members for the time being. Local officials didn’t specify how many of the six people actually resided in the home.

An investigation by the Kennewick Fire Department determined that the fire was accidentally caused by unattended cooking occurring on the stove.

RECENT NEWS HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS TEAM:

RELATED: Kennewick police receive new information on Sofia Juarez’s disappearance