UW Medicine is developing coronavirus diagnostic test
SEATTLE, Wash. — University of Washington School of Medicine is developing a diagnostic test for the coronavirus.
In the wake of growing coronavirus infections, and its transmission to the United States, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention is coordinating with state and local health departments to test cases.
The University of Washington School of Medicine is helping on that front, with the lab of Dr. Alex Greninger developing a diagnostic test based on genome information from the coronavirus.
“We can ramp this up relatively quickly in sort of weeks, to about a month,” Dr. Greninger says, “We’re ready for these things all the time.”
Healthcare professionals urge you take steps to prevent spreading the virus:
- Frequently wash your hands
- Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Keep your hands away from your mouth/nose/eyes
- Avoid close contact with people with illnesses
- Stay home if you are sick
- Consider wearing a surgical mask