Walla Walla storage unit fire destroys $25K worth of property

Walla Walla storage unit fire destroys $25K worth of property
(Walla Walla Professional Firefighters) 

A fire at Mill Creek Self Storage in Walla Walla destroyed about $25,000 worth of property Monday evening.

At about 7:15 p.m., the Walla Walla Fire Department responded to reports of heavy smoke coming from the middle section or the storage units at 2932 Isaacs Avenue.

Firefighters had to cut through a metal door to gain access to the source of the fire inside one of the units. They brought it under control within about 30 minutes from their initial response. No one was injured.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an exterior light that overheated and melted wires, sparking the fire, officials said.

The owner of the property was identified as Steve Schaefer.