WATCH LIVE: Governor Inslee to announce vaccine incentives at 2:30 p.m.
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Washington is expected to join several states, including Oregon, in using prizes to incentivize citizens to receive their COVID-19 vaccination. The announcement will be made during a press conference held by Governor Jay Inslee at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 3, 2021.
A release from the Governor’s Office said he will be joined by Marcus Glasper, director of the Washington State Lottery, to make his announcement. Washington may follow other states in offering cash incentives to those who choose to get vaccinated. Ohio was the first state to announce a lottery system, giving away $1 million to a vaccinated person.
You can watch the announcement live here on YakTriNews.com in the frame below:
Other states, including Colorado, Maryland, Oregon and California, have also announced large lottery prizes.
During a May 13 news conference, Inslee said he would not rule out the idea of a million-dollar cash lottery, adding that he was not against the idea of “joints for jabs” either.
Though the latter idea has not been announced, the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board did say it will provide a limited allowance to local breweries, wineries and distilleries so they can provide a free drink to customers who show proof of vaccination.
For more information on how to get vaccinated in your area, click here.
RECENT CORONAVIRUS VACCINE HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Health officials address heart inflammation concerns
- BFHD announces COVID-19 vaccine clinics in Richland, Pasco
- Inslee signs ‘Safe Workers’ proclamation, details employee vaccination rules
- Benton County mass vaccination site closes after four months, 81,773 vaccines
- Clarifying Washington state’s updated masking rules and vaccination guidelines
- Despite Board of Health recommendation, Yakima won’t remove mask rules for children
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.