Yakima Valley reads ‘The House in the Cerulean Sea’
YAKIMA, Wash. — Yakima Valley Libraries is encouraging community members to read “The House in the Cerulean Sea” by TJ Klune and join in a series of events culminating in a virtual keynote speech by the author.
Then events are part of Yakima Valley Reads, an annual community-wide book club encouraging adults to pick up the same book and discuss with their friends, neighbors and colleagues.
“The House in the Cerulean Sea” is a contemporary fantasy by bestselling author TJ Klune, who writes stories featuring LGBTQ+ characters.
“[It’s about] acceptance and basically, differences are amazing and developing a whole family out of this group of what society has called misfit kids,” YVL programming and marketing librarian Krystal Corbray said.
More about “The House in the Cerulean Sea”:
“Linus Baker is a by-the-book case worker in the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He’s tasked with determining whether six dangerous magical children are likely to bring about the end of the world.
Arthur Parnassus is the master of the orphanage. He would do anything to keep the children safe, even if it means the world will burn. And his secrets will come to light.
The House in the Cerulean Sea is an enchanting love story, masterfully told, about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place―and realizing that family is yours.”
Free copies of the book are available as supplies last at Yakima Valley Libraries. Registration is still open for the virtual keynote speech by TJ Klune on Thursday, Nov. 3 at 6:3o p.m. online via Zoom. Register here.
Other upcoming events include:
- Film screening of The Homestretch: Three Homeless Teenagers Fighting for Their Future on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 11 a.m. at Sunnyside Community Library. “This Emmy-winning documentary follows three homeless teens as they fight to stay in school, graduate, and build a future, while also struggling with larger issues like poverty, race, juvenile justice, immigration, foster care, and LGBTQ rights. Run-time: 1hr 29 minutes I MPAA Rating: PG-13″
- Create: Fun with Felt Flowers on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 2 p.m. at West Valley Community Library. “Join us for an adult arts & crafts hour as we make felt flowers while listening to a playlist of the 1950s-70s-era music mentioned in “The House in the Cerulean Sea.” For ages 16+. Space and supplies are limited. Please pre-register with links below.” Register here.
- Virtual/online book discussion on Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. Register here.
- Book discussion at West Valley Community Library on Thursday, Oct. 27 at 2 p.m.
- Film screening of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 11 a.m. at Yakima Central Library. “When 16-year-old Jake uncovers a secret world for children with unusual and magical powers, danger soon arises and the children must band together to protect a world as extraordinary as they are. Run time: 2hrs 7 minutes I MPAA Rating: PG-13”
- Create: Fun with Felt Flowers on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 1 p.m. at Sunnyside Community Library. “Join us for an adult arts & crafts hour as we make felt flowers while listening to a playlist of the 1950s-70s-era music mentioned in “The House in the Cerulean Sea.” For ages 16+. Space and supplies are limited. Please pre-register with links below.” Register here.
- Book discussion at Naches Community Library on Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m.
- Book discussion at Selah Community Library on Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 6 p.m.
- Book discussion at Zillah Community Library on Friday, Nov. 4 at 6:30 p.m.
RECENT HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Yakima woman’s body recovered from hotel, homicide investigation launched
- Yakima County Sheriff shares progress on local crime lab
- $5 million federal grant to mitigate drought in Cle Elum Reservoir
- NASA engineer Dr. Moogega Cooper inspires Yakima students
- Yakima affordable housing project gets $765,000 state grant
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.